Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Own Private Idaho Soundtrack


I recently had the pleasure to re-screen Gus Van Sant’s 1991 film My Own Private Idaho. Idaho starts out on a dead run with River Phoenix standing still in the middle of a road, looking into the distance and seeing that big landscape smile back at him, only to narcolepsy-out and wish-fulfill a loving mother. A quick jump to hustling, the Muffler Man, more hustling, and then those salmon chasing their dna up the stream -- and that’s before we are done with the opening credits. (And it must be said: River Phoenix is relentlessly alive in the film, giving the character layer upon layer of emotional depth.) The movie is a noted hybrid, with, to mention but one filmic aspect, the use of 8mm (documentary-like) footage to conjure up pieces of the past. But that hybridity also pervades the soundtrack. Eddy Arnold, Rudy Valee, Bill Stafford (who won an Independent Spirit Award for his work on the film), Madonna, Elton John. You get the picture. I can’t remember when I first saw Idaho, but I know I didn’t watch the end-credits and hear Shane MacGowan’s rough trade tale of The Old Main Drag.

The Pogues - The Old Main Drag [buy]

Bill Stafford, apparently known in the pedal steel world as “Mr. Smooth,” floats mysteriously through a number of musical interludes and gracefully pedal-steels his way through moving versions of “America the Beautiful” and "Home of the Free.” Unfortunately, they did not release an official soundtrack for the film and I haven’t been able to locate either of Stafford’s contributions online, but you can watch some clips of Bill and friends at his website having a good time and grinning through some laid-back Hawaiian songs, and this number:

11 comments:

  1. Just found this site. I am so humbled. Thanks for this so very much.
    I have recorded a CD, with Gus van Sant's permission of all the songs I played in his movie-"My Own Private Idaho". Recorded the session as close as I could to the way played in the movie. Will be glad to send the songs if I knew where to send. Thanks for this so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,

      I'd love to have the tracks.
      Can you send them to lizmhogg@gmail.com


      Thanks,
      Liz

      Delete
    2. Hi Bill,

      I know my response is about two years late, but my interest is fresh. I loved your musical contributions to My Own Private Idaho and have been searching for the lovely tracks. Would you please send them to me too?

      My email address is: herofreak15@yahoo.com

      Thanks so much in advance! Love your work, sir.

      Delete
  2. Hey BILL CONGRATULATIONS my dear friend I am so proud and happy for you.
    I hope to see you real soon
    lots of love Jean xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,

    I'd love to have the tracks.
    Can you send them to lizmhogg@gmail.com


    Thanks,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,Just saw your note today. Do not check this as I should, I suppose. I can send you the tracks that were in the movie. My email is billstffrd071@gmail.com
      Just send me a note to remind me and I will respond. So proud of your interest. Thanks. Bill Stafford

      Delete
    2. hey can you send me the songs as well. I have been looking for them for so long.

      Grainyphotos@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Hi Bill,

    I've looked everywhere for these tracks! Such great music. Would you please send them to me too?

    My email address is: harperimage@gmail.com

    Thanks so much in advance.

    Best,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill,

    I know my response is about two years late, but my interest is fresh. I loved your musical contributions to My Own Private Idaho and have been searching for the lovely tracks. Would you please send them to me too?

    My email address is: herofreak15@yahoo.com

    Thanks so much in advance! Love your work, sir.

    (reposting this comment as I'm not quite sure if the first time made it through).

    ReplyDelete
  6. came across your blog while searching for bill stafford. i loved this movie and i'm a huge fan of pedal steel, so this was a perfect combination for me. if you still have mp3's from this soundtrack i'd be very grateful if you could pass em' along:

    birdsbeak@gmail.com

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bill, if possible could you please send me the mp3's from your My Own Private Idaho soundtrack? I loved the film and your music added so much to it. I've been searching for years to find the pedal steel tunes and I'd love to hear them properly without the film dialogue over the top. If you could send them to me I'd be over the moon:) My email address is: harrymolko@aol.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete