Friday, February 18, 2011

Beauty


Jagger took off his shirt off and walked around; Albert [Mayles] followed him, filming. Mick Taylor and I sat on a bench with Hendrix, who seemed subdued but pleasant. I told him about seeing Little Richard, and he said, smiling as if it cheered him up to think about it, that once when he was with Richard, he and the bass player bought ruffled shirts to wear onstage, and Richard made them change: "I am the beauty! Nobody spose to wear ruffles but Richard!"
-- from Stanley Booth's The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones

He had watched me work and just loved the way I wore these headbands around my hair and how wild I dressed....He began to dress like me and even grew a little moustache like mine.
-- Little Richard to his biographer Charles White

Here's The Georgia Peach raving about Jimi. You ain't gonna believe your eyes or ears:


Told you so. Now here's Richard in 1973 playing a wicked version of "Lucille" and flashing some threads which bear a striking resemblance to Jimi's, headband and all.


And then we have Jimi in 1967 at the Monterey International Pop Music Festival, his real coming out party in the States, rocking the ruffles Little Richard had denied him.

No comments:

Post a Comment